Basalt’s Jason Smith second in boardercross qualifier
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN ” If Nate Holland is to follow in Tanner Hall’s footsteps this weekend, he may need some help.
The Truckee, Calif., native, who is looking to complete a boardercross three-peat, finished eighth during Friday’s qualifier. Hall outdueled friend Simont Dumont to pick up a third straight skiing superpipe win ” his record seventh X Games gold ” Thursday.
Among those who finished ahead of Holland was Basalt Olympian Jason Smith, who wound up second out of 18 in the first run. Only Markus Schairer was faster than Smith, who was 14th last year. Olympic gold medalist Seth Wescott of Sugarloaf, Maine, qualified in sixth.
Six-time X Games gold medalist Shaun Palmer was 12th.
Carbondale’s Ross Trulove did not advance to Saturday’s final rounds, which start at 1 p.m.
(Run One ” Top 18 advance to brackets)
1. Markus Schairer, St. Gallenkirch, Austria, 100.512
3. Rob Fagan, Squamish, BC, Canada, 104.602
4. Graham Watanabe, Sun Valley, Idaho, 104.849
5. Mario Fuchs, Zell Am See, Austria, 105.316
6. Seth Wescott, Sugarloaf, Maine, 105.779
7. Nick Baumgartner, Iron River, Mich., 106.287
8. Nate Holland, Truckee, Calif., 106.538
9. Paul Henri de le Rue, Saint Lary, France, 106.427
10. Jonathan Cheever, Saugus, Mass., 106.663
11. David Speiser, Oberstdorf, Germany, 106.996
12. Shaun Palmer, South Lake Tahoe, Calif., 107.036
13. Simone Malusa, Courmayeur, Italy, 107.161
14. Derek Wintermans, Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada, 107.212
15. Ben Jacobellis, Stratton, Vt., 107.270
16. Michael Layer, Oberstenfeld, Germany, 107.355
17. Pat Holland, Tahoe City, Calif., 107.431
18. Ludovic Guillot-Diat, Villard de Lans, France, 107.733
(Run Two – Top six advance to quarterfinals)
1. Michael Novotny, Prague, Czech Republic, 107.408
2. Drew Neilson, Vernon, BC, Canada, 108.006
3. Tom Velisek, Squamish, BC, Canada, 108.229
4. Alex Pullin, Mansfield, Australia, 108.506
5. Damon Hayler, Sydney, Australia, 108.963
6. Mateusz Ligocki, Cieszyn, Poland, 109.732
7. Stian Sivertzen, Kongsberg, Norway, 110.039
8. Pierre Vaultier, Briancon, France, 110.453
9. Mike Robertson, Canmore, AB, Canada, 111.184
11. Konstantin Schad, Rosenheim, Germany, 112.320
12. Alberto Schiavon, Madonna di Campiglio, Italy, 115.528
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Whether you want to get lifted on Halloween, zone out from the Election Day news cycle or start experimenting with microdosing, cannabis candy is tastier than ever.