ESPN, Aspen hotel face suit
The Aspen Times
A man from Brazil is suing the ESPN sports network and the Inn at Aspen hotel over an accident that allegedly occurred two years ago.
Paulo Iervolino, of Tatuape, Sao Paulo, claims that he was injured because the hotel allowed ESPN Productions Inc. to place plastic liner over the carpet covering part of the hotel’s common area. When Iervolino, who was a hotel guest, left the swimming pool and reentered the building, he slipped on the plastic liner, and damaged his knee, according to the suit.
Glenwood Springs attorney Bill Schubert of Hess & Schubert LLP filed the lawsuit on behalf of Iervolino last week in Pitkin County District Court.
The defendants are listed as ESPN Productions Inc. and the Inn at Aspen Condominium Association. No one with the network or the hotel could be reached for comment on Tuesday.
The incident allegedly occurred on Jan. 16, 2012, less than two weeks before the start of the Winter X Games that year.
“The liner covered a carpeted surface on which Plaintiff would not have slipped without the presence of the plastic liner,” the lawsuit says. “The defendants made no effort to warn Plaintiff or any other person of the danger posed by the slick, plastic surface.”
As a result of the fall, Iervolino was required to have knee surgery and incurred extensive medical bills. He also sustained lost earnings, pain, suffering, mental anguish and disfigurement, the suit states.
“The defendants reasonably should have foreseen that the placement of the plastic liner, rather than an appropriate safety mat, created an unreasonable risk of harm,” the suit adds.
The suit seeks monetary damages and compensation for legal costs.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The Kim family’s ranch stood between flames and a more densely populated neighborhood of Missouri Heights. Their decision to stay the night of July 4, 2018, to douse their Dragonfly Ranch in water helped contain the blaze.