Iconic singer-songwriter Don McLean to perform at Vilar Performing Arts Center
August 20, 2018
As any musician knows, writing a hit song is a challenge. For a singer-songwriter, penning one of the most iconic songs of the 20th century seems nearly impossible. However, Don McLean did just that when he released "American Pie" in 1971. Don McLean will perform at the Vilar Performing Arts Center on Thursday, Aug. 23, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $85 and are available now at the box office.
In 2018, Don McLean released his latest album, "Botanical Gardens," which featured many songs about romance and heartbreak.
"I like beautiful music," McLean said in an interview with USA Today. "I always loved the bel canto way of singing … When I was 19 or 20, I was pretty happy to be another folk singer trying to get a job. The songs I sang then came close to what I wanted to say. So I decided to write new songs that said exactly what I wanted to say."
At age 72, Don McLean continues to play intimate concerts filled with classic songs and never-heard-before stories.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman