Iconic singer-songwriter Don McLean to perform at Vilar Performing Arts Center
August 20, 2018
As any musician knows, writing a hit song is a challenge. For a singer-songwriter, penning one of the most iconic songs of the 20th century seems nearly impossible. However, Don McLean did just that when he released "American Pie" in 1971. Don McLean will perform at the Vilar Performing Arts Center on Thursday, Aug. 23, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $85 and are available now at the box office.
In 2018, Don McLean released his latest album, "Botanical Gardens," which featured many songs about romance and heartbreak.
"I like beautiful music," McLean said in an interview with USA Today. "I always loved the bel canto way of singing … When I was 19 or 20, I was pretty happy to be another folk singer trying to get a job. The songs I sang then came close to what I wanted to say. So I decided to write new songs that said exactly what I wanted to say."
At age 72, Don McLean continues to play intimate concerts filled with classic songs and never-heard-before stories.
Trending In: Entertainment
- In ‘Freak Kingdom,’ a professor examines the political Hunter S. Thompson
- Aspen author Sarah Chase Shaw to discuss ‘Living Beneath the Colorado Peaks’
- Aspen Community Theatre stages a ‘Big River’ for our tumultuous times
- Immigrant students craft second annual ‘Home’ exhibition at Art Base in Basalt
- Premier valley jazz students will perform with Jazz Arts Messengers
- Aspen Skiing Co. embraces uphilling, but says safe travel must improve
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million
- Aspen superintendent supporters urge board to not placate parents
- Unsealed documents reveal more alleged rape cases in Aspen area