Iconic singer-songwriter Don McLean to perform at Vilar Performing Arts Center
August 20, 2018
As any musician knows, writing a hit song is a challenge. For a singer-songwriter, penning one of the most iconic songs of the 20th century seems nearly impossible. However, Don McLean did just that when he released "American Pie" in 1971. Don McLean will perform at the Vilar Performing Arts Center on Thursday, Aug. 23, at 8 p.m. Tickets are $85 and are available now at the box office.
In 2018, Don McLean released his latest album, "Botanical Gardens," which featured many songs about romance and heartbreak.
"I like beautiful music," McLean said in an interview with USA Today. "I always loved the bel canto way of singing … When I was 19 or 20, I was pretty happy to be another folk singer trying to get a job. The songs I sang then came close to what I wanted to say. So I decided to write new songs that said exactly what I wanted to say."
At age 72, Don McLean continues to play intimate concerts filled with classic songs and never-heard-before stories.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Documentary ‘The Quiet Force’ puts ski town immigrant communities in spotlight
- Jon Busch, Aspen gay icon and champion of cinema, inducted in the Hall of Fame
- Jazz Aspen’s June Experience moving from Benedict Tent to multiple venues downtown this summer
- Red Brick Center adds solo shows to exhibition program, beginning with Aspen’s Gary Gleason
- Legendary all male comedy ballet company, ‘the Trocks,’ return to Aspen
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis