White tops superpipe qualifying
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN ” After grabbing gold in slopestyle Saturday, snowboarder Shaun White bolted back up Buttermilk to take part in qualifying for Sunday’s superpipe competition. He dominated that as well, finishing as the top qualifier.
Steve Fisher was second and Elijah Teter third.
Finals in the men’s snowboard superpipe competition begin Sunday at 7:30 p.m., capping the four-day Winter X Games 13 in Aspen. The top 8 finishers in Saturday’s qualifier advanced to the finals.
White’s slopestyle gold on Saturday was a record eighth in Winter X Games competition, breaking a tie with freeskier Tanner Hall. The snowboarder now has 13 overall medals in Winter X.
Sunday’s final will feature defending champ White and last year’s bronze medalist, Kevin Pearce. Last year’s silver medalist in the event, Ryo Aono, did not compete in Saturday’s qualifier.
(Top 8 advance to finals)
1. Shaun White / Carlsbad, Calif. / 93.33
2. Steve Fisher / Breckenridge, Colo. / 89.33
3. Elijah Teter / Belmont, Vt. / 88.00
4. Mason Aguirre / Mammoth, Calif. / 86.33
5. Antti Autti / Rovaniemi, Finland / 85.00
6. Kevin Pearce / Norwich, Vt. / 83.00
7. Andy Finch / Truckee, Calif. / 81.66
8. Louie Vito / Bellefontaine, Ohio / 77.66
9. Iouri Padladtchikov / Zurich, Switzerland / 72.33
10. Jack Mitrani / Mammoth Lakes, Calif. / 66.66
11. J.J. Thomas / Breckenridge, Colo. / 64.33
12. Peetu Piiroinen / Hyvinkaa, Finland / 51.66
13. Scotty Lago / Seabrook, N.H. / 38.33
14. Ross Baker / Reno, Nev. / 36.00
15. Greg Bretz / Mammoth Lakes, Calif. / 23.00
16. Danny Davis / Highland, Mich. / 18.33
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.