Summit tops Aspen in overtime thriller |

Summit tops Aspen in overtime thriller

Bryce Evans
Summit Daily News
Aspen, CO Colorado
Summit Daily/Mark Fox

FARMER’S KORNER, Colo. – Just 30 seconds into the third overtime, it looked as though Summit’s best shot at pulling off a dramatic win was thwarted. Junior Haley Anderson, in all alone on Aspen goalie Molly Kadota, had her shot blocked, and Kadota scooped up the ball looking for the clearing attempt.

Anderson didn’t drop back to play defense.

“I was just thinking to go all out, because it’s sudden death and we had nothing to lose,” she said.

Anderson pressured Kadota, getting her stick in the way of the outlet pass. The ball dropped in front of the crease, and Anderson swiftly picked it up and slid it past Kadota for the goal and a 9-8 win.

“I’m just really stoked,” Anderson said.

For the Tigers, it was a fitting end to a difficult day.

Matched up with their Mountain League rival, the Tigers played without five regular varsity girls, moving junior varsity players up to fill those spots. They trailed 4-2 at halftime, but through steady defense and good ball movement on offense, Summit eventually worked its way back and finished off the win.

“It was awesome for everyone to play together and win,” Tigers head coach Kristen Elliott said. “They played great. They went out there and really wanted it. They dug deep, especially in those overtimes.”

Anderson finished the game with three goals, and junior Ivy Marshall had four. Sophomore goalie Chelsea Christianson had a dominant afternoon, saving 20 of 28 shot attempts.

Aspen’s Olivia Porcaro scored three second-half goals, including the equalizer that sent the game into overtime with 3:31 remaining. Delaney Conner and Allie Garrett each scored twice and Kadota made 14 saves.

Aspen controlled play early on. Playing a girl short after receiving a yellow card, the Skiers scored shorthanded to take a 1-0 lead when Conner ripped a shot into the back of the net.

The Tigers struggled to keep pace and trailed by two heading into the second half.

Kate Raymond scored early in the half for Summit, but it was a string of four goals in a 6:11 stretch that gave the Tigers the upper hand down the stretch.

Marshall scored three of those goals, and the other came from Emily Belinduke, who picked off a Skiers pass and scored on the ensuing breakaway.

Aspen wouldn’t go away, though. The Skiers cut the lead to 8-7 with 7:48 left off a shot from Garrett.

After a couple key saves from Kadota, the Skiers tied the game when Porcaro cut from behind the net and slipped a shot past Christianson.

Once the game went to overtime, it was Summit that controlled play. The Tigers had multiple chances in each of the first two extra periods before Anderson finally put the game away.

“It was a relief,” Elliott said. “I’m glad they didn’t give up and fought there at the end.”

Aspen, now 5-1, will look to rebound at Grand Junction on Saturday.