First Armstrong, now Landis eyes comeback
Aspen, CO Colorado
Floyd Landis is preparing his own comeback.
The American who won the 2006 Tour de France but then had his title stripped for a positive doping test is looking to return to a team run by Momentum Sports Group.
“We are in negotiations with Floyd Landis to ride for the team in 2009, but we do not as of yet have a signed contract,” said team director Mike Tamayo at the Tour of Missouri.
Landis did not return messages left by The Associated Press on his phone and via e-mail.
The comeback first was reported by Cyclingnews.com.
Landis’ suspension ends Jan. 30, 2009 and it’s no surprise that the 32-year-old cyclist intends to come back. Since his positive test rocked the cycling world in 2006, he has been on the sideline, fighting and losing the case at every level, trying to make ends meet and seeking a return.
Landis served as an adviser for Rock Racing, but rumors that he might race for the team never panned out.
The news of Landis’ intent to return comes on the heels of Lance Armstrong’s announcement that he plans to race in the 2009 Tour de France. Armstrong, who won the Tour seven straight times before Landis took the title in 2006, said racing last month in the Leadville 100 in Colorado “totally kick-started my engine.”
Landis participated in that race in 2007, finishing 1 minute, 43 seconds out of the lead. He was able to race in Leadville and a few other small races that did not fall under anti-doping regulations.
Landis always has said he was clean and was victimized by an anti-doping system he says is rigged against athletes.
Last year, he was part of a bizarre, two-week hearing in which he tried to expose the flaws in the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and the drug-testing culture in cycling. He lost that case, then lost his appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, meaning he had to serve the full two-year ban that is routine for a first-time offender.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
This is the 53rd Aspen Ruggerfest, a year delayed after the 2020 tournament was canceled. It’s one of the country’s most prestigious and longest-running tournaments of its kind still left and draws in high-level players from all over the world.