Aspen Speedos lap field at home invitational
The Aspen Times
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN – The Aspen Speedos swim team kicked off the fall/winter season with an impressive home performance at this past weekend’s fifth annual Aspen Yellow Leaf Invitational.
Scores of individual victories and new pool records helped lead the home squad to a convincing victory in a field comprised of eight teams and 205 swimmers.
The Speedos compiled more points than the second- and third-place finishers combined, head coach Gordon Gerson said Tuesday.
“It was a great start to the season. We really have some competitive kids in nearly every age group,” he added. “This showed what we can do if we show up, cheer each other on and continue to work hard.”
Here are the weekend’s highlights:
• Max Bryant won all nine of his individual events and set two pool records in the 15-and-older division.
• Kelcie Gerson won eight events, set five pool records and also was part of two winning relay teams. The 15-year-old, who appears to be healthy after dealing with a nagging shoulder injury last season, joined with Leigh Sandbach, Claire Collier and Kelli Callahan to win the 400 freestyle relay by more than 2 seconds. Gerson, Sandbach, Callahan and Lizzy Grater topped the field in the 400 medley relay.
In the 100 and 200 backstroke, Gerson bested the times recorded by all boys swimmers.
• Callahan picked up five individual wins and set two pool records.
• Sam Richie won eight of nine events and established four pool records.
• Davy Brown won six of nine events, producing six best times in the process.
• Libby Reagan, Lewis Brown, Jack Bowers and August So each amassed three wins.
• Pascale Augspurger and Grater won two events.
• Jackson Landis won the 400 IM and Everett Olson triumphed in the 500 freestyle. Both were competing in the events for the first time.
• Emily Driscoll dropped 33 seconds off her previous best time in the 100 breaststroke.
“She’s incredibly enthusiastic and tries hard every day. She’s come a million miles,” coach Gerson said.
“If we continue to realize this type of attendance, we should continue to realize this kind of success.”
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.