History: What’s in a name? | AspenTimes.com

History: What’s in a name?

The Meltons moved to Brush Creek in 1938, purchasing the Tom Kearns ranch near what is now known as Faraway Road to raise chickens, cattle and a large garden. The local ranchers would combine their labor to plant and harvest crops, as well as tend to the livestock. They raised oats, barley and alfalfa along with whiteface Hereford cattle. Over the years, the Meltons purchased the Bill Anderson Ranch as well as the Leo Kearns ranch where they lived until 1963, selling to the Janss group and moving to nearby New Castle. The subdivision was developed in the late 1960s and still bears their name.


See more