Two Elk Fire near Minturn is 100 percent contained, burned 26 acres
October 2, 2018
MINTURN — Crews jumped on a weekend wildfire and had it 100 percent contained by Monday afternoon.
The Two Elk Fire was had not grown in two days as firefighters held it to 26.5 acres, said Rick Truex, acting district ranger for the Eagle Holy Cross Ranger District.
On Monday, firefighters finished mopping up and extinguishing any remaining hot spots along the fire’s perimeter. One helicopter remained available, and one engine will stay near the fire area through Tuesday morning, Truex said.
Crews built containment lines on the southern, northern and western flanks of the fire. Crews also utilized the rock outcropping on the eastern edge of the fire as a natural containment barrier.
Some wisps of smoke may be visible from smoldering material on the interior of the fire, particularly in the conifer located below the rock outcropping, Truex said.
“Although some heat remains, the likelihood of fire threatening containment lines is low,” Truex said.
Recommended Stories For You
Cooler temperatures, cloud cover and moisture Monday afternoon and forecast into the rest of the week and is anticipated to help cool smoldering hot spots, Truex said.
“Thanks to swift response by local cooperators and interagency firefighters, the Two Elk fire is expected to be at 100 percent containment by this afternoon,” Truex said early Monday afternoon. “We would like to thank the local community and our partners for all of their support over the weekend.”
Crews from the Eagle River Fire Protection District, Eagle County Sheriff’s Office, Vail Fire and Emergency Services, Red White and Blue Fire Protection District, Gypsum Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedics, Aspen Fire Protection District, Basalt and Rural Fire Protection District, Carbondale and Rural Fire Protection District responded to the blaze. Vail Resorts, the town of Minturn and town of Vail provided other support.
The fire is suspected to be human-caused and was likely sparked in the vicinity of the Minturn gun range, officials said.
Trending In: Section Front
- She Said, He Said: What makes Aspen the divorce capital of Colorado?
- Lake Christine Fire Day 5: Evacuation lifts will start Sunday around El Jebel; fire 8% contained
- She Said, He Said: Are you an ‘anxious attacher’ in your relationship? How can you tell
- The Chainsmokers play surprise Belly Up Aspen concert
- Two Elk Fire near Minturn is 100 percent contained, burned 26 acres
- Is affordable housing no longer affordable in Aspen?
- Aspen’s parking problems persist as director plays whack-a-mole
- Business Monday: Chasing the American dream at the Roaring Fork Grill in El Jebel
- Sex assault suspects appear in court together in Aspen
- ‘Cowboy’ Jim Crowley recollects his 100 years in Fryingpan Valley and Basalt