Roses and Thorns
• A bouquet of roses to former Aspen Mayor Helen Klanderud. She was a woman of grace, style and class. A tireless volunteer who threw herself into whatever she did, Klanderud was outspoken, and her heart and mind were always in the right place — the best interest of Aspen.
• A thorn goes to the Basalt Town Council for playing kick the can by avoiding a decision on retail marijuana outlets and grow operations within town boundaries. Instead, it decided to send the issue to voters in November. The voters have spoken already. The precincts that include Basalt, in both Pitkin and Eagle counties, voted overwhelmingly in November to approve recreational marijuana use. All the council had to do is figure out where pot shops are appropriate, as many other mountain communities are doing.
• A rose to Aspen Skiing Co. for offering complimentary rides on the Silver Queen Gondola over the weekend. Skico recognized that with the vehicular access closed to the Maroon Bells, a free ride to the top of Aspen Mountain might ease the local sting of the federal government’s partial shutdown.
• A basket of thorns to those elected officials on Capitol Hill. By setting a horrible example for the U.S., they are playing games with the country’s economy and well-being. Americans deserve so much better than the so-called leadership they’re getting now.
• A rose to organizers of the Western Slope College Fair, which was held Sunday at Aspen High School. The fair is a positive and enlightening experience for high school students throughout Colorado, helping set the stage for their future academic endeavors.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Where did the time go? It’s not a sentimental expression succinctly encapsulating into one fond memory all the fun I’ve had this year. It’s a real question. I’m not accumulating things to put in a…