Western Civilization: as good as it gets
August 21, 2017
Emzy Veazy III, author of "On racism and nukes" (letters, Aspen Times, Aug. 18), needs to recognize that racism, colonialism and imperialism were not invented by white Europeans.
He might consider, for example, the histories of Japan and the Ottoman Empire, two civilizations that I don't view as inherently better or worse than, say, the British Empire, although I do credit the latter with some capacity for self-reform — the abolition of slavery, for example, and reforms that kept the French Revolution from traveling across the Channel.
Veazy also might consider that the white man's burden was, if anything, less barbaric than the Muslim burden that seeks to convert the world to its particular belief system, doing whatever it takes.
Those who are now bent on dismantling the West, starting with its statues and monuments — including the desecration of statues of Junipero Serra and Joan of Arc — should ask themselves what it is that they expect to follow.
They also should ask themselves why it is that they are not attacking what is truly the most toxic and virulent ideology ever to emerge from the fevered brains of northern Europeans — Marxism. If anything is evil, it is Communism. If any regime is self-evidently evil, it is that of North Korea.
It is hardly racist or imperialistic to say so, or to seek to protect ourselves from Muslim immigration.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Contractor spills 1,300 gallons of jet fuel at Aspen airport
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman
- Lawsuit: Deteriorating Snowmass-area house plagued by landslide zone