Standing against racist mascots
February 8, 2018
If it's not considered racist to have a sports team named the Redskins with the image of an American Indian in full warrior regalia as their mascot, then by the same reasoning it would be acceptable to have a team named the "Blackskins" with a caricature of an African American slave picking cotton as the team emblem. Sadly enough, for a lot of people that would agree with the preceding statement, their main concern would not be about the overt racism exhibited, but about whether or not the players stood for the National Anthem.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- She Said, He Said: What makes Aspen the divorce capital of Colorado?
- Another winter storm expected to hit Aspen, Snowmass area Monday
- Aspen’s Alex Ferreira, Torin Yater-Wallace soar into Olympic ski pipe finals
- Mutual fund plummet blamed on Aspen homeowner’s firm
- Talk will expose sex trafficking’s reach into Aspen