Proven leadership for Colorado Mountain College
My name is Marianne Virgili and I am running for the Colorado Mountain College (CMC) Board of Trustees in District 2. Even if you don’t live in my district (the Roaring Fork Valley), if you live in one of the six CMC counties on the Western Slope, you get to vote for me.
Here’s why I hope you do:
A Glenwood Springs community leader for 30 years, I understand small-town values, challenges and opportunities. During my 30 years as CEO of the Glenwood Springs Chamber, I led more than a dozen successful initiatives that built infrastructure, strengthened our tourism economy and gained the chamber and community national awards. I also worked for CMC, lobbying at the state legislature for four-year degrees and chairing 2018’s Ballot Initiative 7D, which allows the college to retain revenue and keeps tuition low.
1. I am committed to accessible education for students of all ages. I was the first in my extended Italian-American family to go to college. My mother was an immigrant and homemaker who went back to work to help pay my tuition. Education was a gift to me and one that I can only repay by giving it to someone else. Because of CMC, our students can study, reside and work in the communities where they live.
2. After 30 years at the chamber, I see education as workforce development. I support expanding vo-tech training for real jobs within our communities.
3. I value lifelong learning. The variety of CMC classes should remain as diverse as our mountain communities.
4. I think training for first responders, nurses, law enforcement, teachers and others who serve our community is vital.
5. I believe that education empowers immigrants and Dreamers to serve themselves and their communities.
6. I want to be part of pioneering new four-year degrees in emerging fields.
7. I value the faculty and staff who create CMC’s exceptional learning experience.
8. I have a lot of local and national experience with board governance and would ensure transparency, stewardship and accountability.
Please look for my name on the ballot and vote for proven leadership, Marianne Virgili for CMC.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User