Only need one building for city offices
July 31, 2018
Looking at all the Aspen city office options upon the table, the one-roof option is a no-brainer. It's the cheapest by millions. It consolidates offices under one roof for better staff efficiency and communication. It doesn't sterilize downtown spaces. On the contrary it offers an unprecedented opportunity to inject vitality through the Armory building. I'm sorry, the park on top of the parking garage is simply not sacred ground — it's bereft of either vitality or natural solitude.
City Council shouldn't be afraid of letting this go to a vote if it has to. We just need to construct a more compelling vision here, folks. Aspen's own miniature Pike Place Market or Faneuil Hall in the Armory building would be a sensation. People are grasping for localism and affordability in Aspen's retail landscape. Against an unrelenting tide of wealth, we've been unafraid to help our locals afford housing, why not help nurture local business? Let's hit two birds with one (simpler, cheaper) stone.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Aspen’s housing program seeks to educate homeowners on the do’s and don’ts
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain