New gun range needed
August 27, 2018
In an editorial Aug. 23, the Aspen Times stated that it is important to keep the Basalt shooting range open "to avoid pushing recreational shooters into public lands and creating makeshift shooting areas."
If the Aspen Times really means what it said, it should change its position: An alternative location, with more bays and capable of accommodating a range longer than the current 100-yard limit, would be more effective in reducing the use of makeshift shooting areas than the current Basalt facility, given its small size and limited options.
Additionally, an alternative location would remedy the proven fire hazard posed by the current site.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility