Lift One for Aspen
To all the whiners and naysayers about the Lift One plan, here are two scenarios that hinge on the upcoming vote:
Scenario A (for Aspen), we vote “yes” and get:
• A new lift that we can walk to
• Two new lodges where lodging belongs at the base of Aspen Mountain
• World Cup racing (for kids who grow up here, this is a big deal)
• Great additions to our otherwise weak apres scene
• Parks, open space, a corridor up the mountain
• A ski history museum
Scenario D (for “dumb”), we vote no and get:
• Lift One Lodge (it’s already approved), but the lift can never come down
• An empty monster mansion where Gorsuch Haus is planned (that’s allowed under so-called conservation zoning)
• No new lift (remember how much it sucked when Lift 1A broke down for three weeks in 2016?)
• No future World Cup racing
If you vote “no,” what kind of the legacy are you leaving for younger generations? Are you really against keeping Aspen a world-class and World Cup ski resort?
One last thought, Lindsey Vonn retired Sunday after an amazing career; she´s from Vail where the World Cup happens every year. If Aspen votes “no,” can we really keep bashing Vail? Vail will continue to be connected to Europe and the rest of the World Cup circuit.
Meanwhile, Aspen will be remembered as a place where great ski racing used to happen.
Vote “yes” and please don’t isolate Aspen from the world by making our town a subpar ski arena where only NASTAR races happen.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.