Letter: Waste wizards
January 13, 2016
This is a shout-out to the unsung heroes who manage our many tons of refuse. The kind and helpful people at the Pitkin County landfill were so unbelievably thoughtful in a time when I felt completely "buried," shall we say. Kathy, Barrett, Jeff and the wizard who was behind the stick in the track hoe went above and beyond to help me in a very peculiar situation.
We don't think about how hard they work, and I now have experienced firsthand the conditions that they work in! While the management of the garbage as well as the location itself are top notch, the garbage itself is not. It's such an incredible pile of what we mindlessly toss away. I, for one, have been a bit more mindful of the waste management in my own home as a result.
I hope that you all enjoyed the cookies. Thank you so much for being champions in a rather thankless position. I am very grateful for your service.
And Donny at Mountain Refuse Inc., now Mountain Waste and Recycling, I couldn't have done it without you. Thank you for calling me back on a holiday-weekend Sunday morning. You are the best!
A big thank-you to you all. I wish the best to you and yours in 2016.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Tenants above fitness studio file lawsuit over noise
- City of Aspen warns motorists of major delays over bridge beginning April 2
- Aspen Skiing Co. says extended skiing is unlikely this season
- Pitkin County’s jail director now free as a bird after 27 years
- Copper Mountain launches REI ‘Four Pack’ ski option for 2018-19 season