Letter: Stop the biggering
October 28, 2013
Friends will call me a crank for this, but here goes: I think it's ludicrous to raise our midvalley property taxes — a lot — to build a huge new recreation center. I don't think we have the population to support it financially, and there are already enough buildings sprouting on the valley floor.
If built, this new rec-plex on the Roaring Fork will end up costing taxpayers more than advertised, only to compete unnecessarily with all the other gyms and recreational facilities, public and private, in the valley.
I'm also fond of Crown Mountain Park as it is, with big, green playing fields and expansive views of the surrounding mountains, not to mention the sky. It's a great place to watch a meteor shower or an eclipse.
This desire for another multimillion-dollar playpen reminds me of the short-shortsighted Once-ler, stubbornly lecturing the Lorax that he was "figgering on biggering and biggering and BIGGERING."
We don't need this. Please vote "no" on 4C and 4D.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- River Valley Ranch Golf in Carbondale gets new owner