Letter: Stop giveaways to developers
December 15, 2015
At the Town Council meeting Dec. 8, the town of Basalt gave to the Willits developer, Mariner Real Estate Management, future sales tax money so it can further develop ("Willits Town Center expansion approved," The Aspen Times, Dec. 9)? This could turn out to be a lot of money that would do a lot of good and solve problems for the town. Four council members voted in favor of the developer instead of doing what's right for the town's residents. What a giveaway. These are the same council members who think the Pan and Fork needs to be developed because the town can't afford not to develop it. These are the same council members who wonder where the funds for the Basalt underpass will come from.
Mariner complained that it rented out a whole second floor to Valley View Hospital and built a hotel so now it needs more square footage for retail. When did retail occupy second floors? Isn't Mariner receiving income from Valley View and the hotel? Such specious reasoning.
It is time for this council to work for the town's residents and remember that development should pay its own way.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Area high school students survive car crash into Maroon Creek
- Aspen’s affordable housing authority looks at increasing user fees
- Vail employee allegedly slept with child prostitute in Glenwood Springs
- Pay hike helps Aspen Skiing Co. fill entry-level positions
- What’s the Big Deal: Red Mountain property fetches $14.675 million