Letter (Sept. 9): Crown Mountain already serves its purpose
September 8, 2013
Crown Mountain already serves its purpose
We have a wonderful open space park midvalley known as Crown Mountain. It has baseball fields, beautiful lush green soccer fields, tennis courts, a children's playground, a great paved walking/jogging trail and various gravel paths for the more adventurous.
All this is operational with a minimal contribution from district taxpayers. Why do some always feel we have to grow bigger and maybe better?
The proposed indoor facilities for the park, I believe, are unnecessary and a bit over-reaching. It's a great green space as it is. Do we need another questionable giant rec center in our valley?
For some reason, projections suggest this rec center will earn more income per capita than any of the others operating in our valley. Even assuming those rosy statistics are true, it will cost a minimum of $300 per year in taxes for a home valued at $500,000. Am I the only one who feels that Crown Mountain is just fine the way it is? Do we always have to keep up with the Joneses?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Tenants above fitness studio file lawsuit over noise
- City of Aspen warns motorists of major delays over bridge beginning April 2
- Aspen Skiing Co. says extended skiing is unlikely this season
- Pitkin County’s jail director now free as a bird after 27 years
- Report: Driver killed on Highway 82 near Aspen probably using ‘electronic device’