Letter: Rec center not worth the debt
October 17, 2013
Rec center not worth the debt
This week registered voters in the Crown Mountain Park and Recreation District will receive a ballot which will include two items for a proposed recreation center to be located in El Jebel.
Please vote "no" on 4C and 4D in order to stop this extravagance that many of us cannot justify as a wise application of our community dollars.
The loan payback on the $25 million construction loan will be an additional $20 million over the next 20 years. In addition, the district estimates that the rec center will operate at a $735,000 financial loss per year, which will be the responsibility of taxpayers. There is a real possibility that it could be more. The ballot language states that property taxes can be raised in any year without limitation to pay off the loan and interest. Without limitation.
Wouldn't it make much more sense to increase funding to improve local schools, teachers' salaries and after-school programs? Let's empower our youth through improved schools and not burden them with extravagant debt.
Please vote "no on 4C and 4D.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails
- Facts disputed in Aspen assault by social media star Cameron Dallas