Letter: Rec center not a natural fit
November 2, 2013
Rec center not a natural fit
I have carefully reviewed the proposed Crown Mountain recreation center, and I have cast my vote against it. It's not that our children are grown and distributed around the world — they wouldn't use this giant facility, even if they were still living here.
We raised our daughters to appreciate the great outdoors, a strong preference they will always enjoy.
If this extravagant project is voted into reality, we'll pay for it with our property taxes, but I'll never use it — ever. I have a couple of bicycles, a pair of really comfortable hiking boots, a pair of skate skis, and I live in one of the most pleasant climates in the world, including an average of 300 sunny days a year.
The Crown Mountain rec center seems to me a total distraction from the reasons we live here — to enjoy and recreate in the beauty of Nature. Cities and suburbs build centers like this because they didn't have the foresight to preserve large areas of nature in which to recreate. We have it in spades!
Please vote "no" on the Crown Mountain recreation center. Thank you!
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Mama bear and her three cubs spend the night at Snowmass Center
- Is affordable housing no longer affordable in Aspen?
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job
- Aspen’s parking problems persist as director plays whack-a-mole
- ‘Cowboy’ Jim Crowley recollects his 100 years in Fryingpan Valley and Basalt