Letter: Rec center math doens’t lie
September 30, 2013
Rec center math doesn't lie
It's a little frustrating to see all of these tax numbers being thrown around in the midvalley rec center debate.
A $5.51 tax hike is insignificant to all of us. That's the headline figure in this story. Well, if everyone wants to be up-front and transparent, let's get real here: $5.51 is the monthly increase for the rec center for $100,000 of property. No one pays a monthly tax bill so let's do some reality math. This amounts to around $66 for a $100,000 house. Does anyone in this valley live in a house valued at $100,000? OK, so get real: $165 increase for a $250,000 home, $330 for a $500,000 home, $660 for a $1 million home, every year.
Is it worth it? Let the voters decide.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border