Letter: Our outstanding mountain-biking trails
September 20, 2014
It was nice to see the article "Aspen mountain-bike trails earn praise" in The Aspen Times on Sept. 17.
Many new trails have been built in the Roaring Fork Valley lately, and it is wonderful to see them getting recognition from the International Mountain Bicycling Association.
Recently I have become more active than I have been in the past 10 years — too busy drinking and medicating — and bought a new bike for the first time in 13 years (my old bike was to and from the bars). I look forward to riding these new trails.
I did have the pleasure of riding the new and remodeled downhill trails at Snowmass this past weekend. I wanted to say thanks to Aspen Skiing Co. and all those individuals involved in making these trails happen. It is a very different Snowmass from when I arrived in this valley the winter of 1995-96. The Burlingame double-lift took you to the Spider Sabich area, and there were a few fun singletrack trails down from there and Government Trail.
The new Verde trail is fantastic for first-time and novice riders with no mandatory jumps. The revamped Easy Rider is super-fun and has lots of little technical twists, turns and jumps! And Valhalla is really fun, too, even though I don't clear a lot of the jumps yet!
I look forward to getting out and off my lazy Asspen lots more and enjoy the majestic mountains I live in and wonderful trails that roll through them.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works