Letter: No need for outdoor pool at ARC
October 5, 2013
No need for outdoor pool at ARC
An outdoor pool would be nice at the Aspen Recration Center — for the four months of nice weather. I don't think it's a good idea to put a complex pool with a moving treadmill and floor in the outdoor environment of Aspen. The freeze thaw of nice days and frozen nights during winter would be very damaging to these parts.
If I built a bridge over a field, hoping to generate revenue by charging people to walk over it and avoid the knee-high grass, is that still a win-win? I think money can be better spent than building and maintaining an outdoor pool in Aspen.
An outdoor pool would have to be drained and winterized before the first freeze, or be subject to costly damages to its hydraulic pumps, piping, and other mechanical features. John Norman
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Skier who died Sunday at Quandary Peak identified
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Aspen School District, HR director part ways
- Friends support local furloughed Forest Service worker whose son was born with cystic fibrosis