Letter: Meat industry is scary
October 25, 2015
I was never scared of all the witches, zombies and assorted goblins that will be wandering around on Halloween. What really used to scare me was the meat industry.
This is the industry that mutilates, cages and butchers billions of cows, pigs and other feeling animals, that exposes thousands of undocumented workers to crippling workplace injuries at slave wages, that exploits farmers and ranchers by dictating wholesale prices and that then jails those who document its abuses through unconstitutional "ag-gag" laws.
It's the industry that generates more water pollution than any other human activity and more greenhouse gases than transportation and then promotes world hunger by feeding nutritious corn and soybeans to animals.
It's the industry that threatens our public health with increased risk of killer diseases, that creates antibiotic-resistant pathogens by feeding antibiotics to animals and that then bullies health authorities to remove anti-meat warnings from their public messages.
Now that's really scary stuff.
But instead of being scared, I decided to fight back by dropping animal products from my menu. I am no longer scared of the meat industry, and I invite everyone to join me.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Arin Trook of Aspen ID’d as skier who died in Monday avalanche near Ashcroft
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche