Letter: Let Russia do the work
September 29, 2013
The Syrian gas killings have had a sobering effect on our leadership. While we are still "Mr. Nice Guy," we have fallen off our self-made pedestal of "world super cop," and it's about time.
What is the super-cop game change, you ask? Are you sitting down? Here's my answer: A serious crack in what we thought was a monolithic policy on major foreign issues with our "allies." Out of 185 nations, we have support from only two — France and Turkey.
Worse than that, we have serious opposition from Russia and China.
We do not need to do anything. Let Russia take the lead on destroying Syria's chemical weapons. No boots! But massive arms to the rebels.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Homeowner near Aspen takes Starwood HOA to court over $900k in fines
- Tenants above fitness studio file lawsuit over noise
- City of Aspen preparing for upheaval of pedestrian malls
- City of Aspen warns motorists of major delays over bridge beginning April 2
- Feds intervene in Basalt cell service dispute, prompting answer from Verizon