Letter: It’s the GOP that demeans women
September 27, 2014
It's the GOP that demeans women
In her letter to the editor, Susan Gomez says that Democrats demean women by assuming they are concerned only with their reproductive rights ("Dems demean women," Sept. 24, The Aspen Times). This is a myth being perpetuated by Republicans, the party that wants to take these rights away. In fact, intelligent women know that the Democrats support the environment and sustainable energy, that they support raising the minimum wage, that they support civil rights, public education, the middle class, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.
The Republicans don't — and they want to take away access to birth control and, even in the worst scenarios, abortion. All of these are women's issues as well as men's issues. There is a party that demeans — and hurts — women, but it isn't the Democrats.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen thief has tough road ahead, judge says
- Pitkin County to prompt valley-wide recycling changes, looking to end drop-off sites