Letter: Community rallies for shoe drive
Community rallies for shoe drive
On behalf of people in need, The Great Valley Shoe Drive-2013 has concluded, and a sincere thank-you goes to all those who contributed.
The goal of 15,000 pairs has been achieved ahead of schedule and arrangements for their final retrieval and distribution are in place.
To learn more where your contribution will go please visit http://soles4souls.org/our-mission
There are so many local individuals, schools, churches, businesses, and media outlets to thank for their generous contributions;
• Countless locals reached deep, emptied their closets, drove out to Buttermilk and dropped off their own shoes and spread the word through conversations, email campaigns and personal efforts.
• Aspen and Basalt schools, Sopris Elementary of Glenwood, and Carbondale schools executed individual school shoe-drives and collected thousands of pairs.
• Christ Episcopal, St. Mary and Crossroads churches of Aspen, as well as other churches, spread the word to their congregations.
• TreadZ of Glenwood, Midland Shoes of Basalt, Kemosabe of Vail and Aspen, Ute Mountaineer of Aspen, The Thrift Shop of Aspen, Four Mountain Sports, The North Face and Starbucks corporate and other businesses collected donations in their places of business and spread the word to their employees and greatly contributed.
• The Aspen Times, Aspen Daily News, KNFO, KSPN, the Lift FM, Aspen Pubic Radio, Aspen 82, and other media outlets were instrumental in promoting this effort.
• And thanks to InterMountain Waste & Recycling for the big green container.
In addition, thank you to the sponsors of this event, Aspen Associates Realty Group and the Aspen Skiing Co.
I do apologize if I inadvertently neglected thanking anyone above. This endeavor would never have succeeded without everyone’s help.
Founder, The Great Valley Shoe Drive-2013
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.