Letter: City needs better financial oversight
September 25, 2014
City needs better financial oversight
Mike Maple is a concerned enough citizen that he showed up at City Council Monday night to express justified concern about the parking meter problem. His concerns are echoed by many citizens who, like the undersigned, are too lazy to show up. Those concerns are whether other city operations could use a management tune-up. A fair question. Outrage from the mayor and city manager at Mike's questions only heightens concern.
Nobody accuses anyone in city management of dishonesty. But it is possible that a city with such a huge budget could use an independent look by a consultant who does not answer to the city manager.
City Council is responsible for oversight of the city manager. The parking fiasco illustrates that responsibility is not being fulfilled. City Council should hire an independent consultant to review city operations and report directly to council its recommendations for better financial controls and more efficient operation.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Ex-biker entrepreneurs from Emma pitch their Kitty Kasas on Shark Tank Sunday