Letter (Aug. 20): Editorial ignores the real issue
August 20, 2013
A recent editorial ("The lingering stigma of marijuana," Aug. 16, The Aspen Times) characterizes the debate over the Basalt greenhouses as an effort by out-of-touch neighbors with a marijuana "paranoia" to ban the development.
Meanwhile, the editorial ignores the real issue — the mammoth size of the 50,000-square -foot commercial development. Casually dismissing this concern, the writer states, "We won't debate the merits of the size of the facility." Seriously?
People have nearly come to blows in this valley over developments much smaller in scope. Simply put, a large commercial operation is proposed for a historically residential area. Traffic, visual blight, water usage, commercial precedent and other issues should all be on the table. Let's not distract from the key concerns by lecturing about marijuana.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- Aspen man accused of killing pedestrian on Highway 82 makes initial appearance