Letter: Aspen Camp makes big strides
September 23, 2014
It seems like yesterday that I arrived at Aspen Camp wanting to make a difference. And I did. The team and I did what many didn't think was possible. Picture in 2009, when Aspen Camp served about 350 people for the entire year. Now jump to 2013, when we served more than 2,300!
We are the only camp in the world providing year-round programs for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Although our mission is primarily the deaf community, we are proud to host organizations in the Roaring Fork Valley. We love having you here.
You, the community, supported and stood by us. On Oct. 2, Aspen Camp will be 47 years old (or 17,155 days)! We have had approximately 383 board members over the years. I truly thank those who serve on boards. The world is a better place because of you. Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this profound experience and this wonderful community.
Aspen Camp is in a much better place, and I've made the decision to focus on myself. I will be shifting from executive director to being a professional grant writer on Nov. 1. I will continue to work part time for the camp and for other nonprofits. Although I won't be in the valley permanently, I will be back from time to time. Please come celebrate our success at our open house at 6 p.m. Friday. See you there!
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter
- Parents demand change at Aspen School District, fill school board meeting
- Four fires burning in northwestern Colorado, including new one near Wyoming border
- What’s the Big Deal: Nearly $11 million for Aspen condo
- Glenwood Hot Springs to add new water attractions