Know your firearms
January 12, 2018
In the Tuesday, Jan. 9 edition of The Aspen Times, the article about Nicholas Ameral and Benjamin Weeks mentions a "submachine gun."
I am not sure who is so ignorant about firearms that they would call a "semi-automatic rifle" a submachine gun. If it is the cops, they are obviously trying to inflame the public about the possession of firearms. If it is the author of the article, Ryan Summerlin, he needs to look up "submachine gun" in Webster's dictionary, if he knows how to use one.
Webster's says a "submachine gun is an automatic firearm fired from the shoulder or the hip." I doubt that Alicia Jackson had the proper license to purchase one of these for her son as stated in your article. Accurate reporting is of utmost importance and research should have discovered the difference in the weapons.
James A. Wingers
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Aspen Skiing Co. to take over family-run Gwyn’s High Alpine at Snowmass in 2020
- Charges dismissed against driver in Basalt pedestrian death on Highway 82
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Judge sides with Aspen-Pitkin County Housing Authority in eviction case
- Man injured in pedestrian-vehicle accident near Lazy Glen