January 7, 2019
"Vice," the wholly unauthorized bio of former Vice President Dick Cheney, is an extremely well-made film. I support and believe everything in it.
That doesn't change the fact that it's a political hack job. Writer and director Adam McKay painted all Republicans as thoroughly evil. "Fahrenheit 11/9" creator Michael Moore points out Democrats can be malevolent, too.
Cheney and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld were two of the most sordid vermin to infest the White House — until recently. Prior to seeing the film, I knew Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction and had nothing to do with 9/11. The Iraq invasion Cheney and Rumsfeld initiated was nothing more than a lousy oil grab.
However, McKay takes some cheap shots at George H.W. and George W. Bush. George H.W. was CIA director under Gerald Ford and, later, he did persuade the Iranians to hold onto the hostages until Ronald Reagan was inaugurated, but he was basically too decent a man to be as devious as Cheney and Rumsfeld. George W. was just plain dumb.
I like multidimensional characters in life and films. Nobody's all black or all white. There's a lot of gray in the real world.
Fred Malo Jr.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Storm brings heavy snow to Aspen, Snowmass area; avalanche warnings issued Friday
- Felony charges filed against Aspen teen who crashed Tesla into river, injured passengers
- Skier rescued from Aspen Mountain sidecountry
- Trap-kill may be only option for West Glenwood mountain lions (video)
- Family remembers skier who died at Breckenridge Ski Resort on Jan. 7