History of the Beattie Award
April 15, 2018
Two more bits of info to add to Scott Condon's April 3 story on Bob Beattie's passing and his tireless work in the '80s to offer snow sports to children throughout our valley:
Base Camp/ASK's forerunner, Aspenauts, was conjured by ski school director Curt Chase and kids' supervisor Linda Harlan in the late '60s as a free program for Aspen school kids each Saturday at Buttermilk. The name "Aspenauts" was suggested by a local boy during the program's second season through a "name the program" contest among the students.
Also, each year, AVSC honors an outstanding pro who teaches in the Base Camp programs — and this is the prestigious Bob Beattie Award.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails