History of the Beattie Award
April 15, 2018
Two more bits of info to add to Scott Condon's April 3 story on Bob Beattie's passing and his tireless work in the '80s to offer snow sports to children throughout our valley:
Base Camp/ASK's forerunner, Aspenauts, was conjured by ski school director Curt Chase and kids' supervisor Linda Harlan in the late '60s as a free program for Aspen school kids each Saturday at Buttermilk. The name "Aspenauts" was suggested by a local boy during the program's second season through a "name the program" contest among the students.
Also, each year, AVSC honors an outstanding pro who teaches in the Base Camp programs — and this is the prestigious Bob Beattie Award.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Mama bear and her three cubs spend the night at Snowmass Center
- Is affordable housing no longer affordable in Aspen?
- Aspen’s parking problems persist as director plays whack-a-mole
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job
- ‘Cowboy’ Jim Crowley recollects his 100 years in Fryingpan Valley and Basalt