History of the Beattie Award
April 15, 2018
Two more bits of info to add to Scott Condon's April 3 story on Bob Beattie's passing and his tireless work in the '80s to offer snow sports to children throughout our valley:
Base Camp/ASK's forerunner, Aspenauts, was conjured by ski school director Curt Chase and kids' supervisor Linda Harlan in the late '60s as a free program for Aspen school kids each Saturday at Buttermilk. The name "Aspenauts" was suggested by a local boy during the program's second season through a "name the program" contest among the students.
Also, each year, AVSC honors an outstanding pro who teaches in the Base Camp programs — and this is the prestigious Bob Beattie Award.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Copper pond-skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Aspen High students march to protest gun violence on National Walkout Day
- Winter storm warning issued for Elk, Gore mountains; heavy snow expected
- Aspen to get marijuana shops from Front Range, Western Slope competing in Durant Mall
- Pitkin County deputies, dispatchers gaining ‘mindfulness’