History of the Beattie Award
April 15, 2018
Two more bits of info to add to Scott Condon's April 3 story on Bob Beattie's passing and his tireless work in the '80s to offer snow sports to children throughout our valley:
Base Camp/ASK's forerunner, Aspenauts, was conjured by ski school director Curt Chase and kids' supervisor Linda Harlan in the late '60s as a free program for Aspen school kids each Saturday at Buttermilk. The name "Aspenauts" was suggested by a local boy during the program's second season through a "name the program" contest among the students.
Also, each year, AVSC honors an outstanding pro who teaches in the Base Camp programs — and this is the prestigious Bob Beattie Award.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Two men drowned at Ruedi Reservoir after accident Saturday afternoon
- Lake Christine Fire crews work most active section; update has fire at nearly 9,700 acres
- Men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir identified as valley locals John Teague and Bret Varra
- Lake Christine Fire at 11,459 acres by Sunday morning after burning through beetle-kill areas
- UPDATE: Two teens dead after single-car accident near Redstone, 14-year-old airlifted to Denver