Change needed on Aspen school board
October 26, 2017
A strong and effective school district requires the leadership of a strong and effective school board.
Good schools not only benefit families with school age children but the whole community by supporting market demand within the district. School board elections are not narrow interest decisions for parents but powerful and crucial opportunities to influence local self-governance that benefits everybody.
Two candidates for school board are clearly committed to maintaining high quality public education in Aspen; Susan Zimet and Johnathan Nickell.
A lot of work went into building our schools up to earning accreditation with distinction. In recent years we have seen consistent decline in student performance, degradation in the schools culture and high teacher turnover. Aspen schools have lost their high accreditation.
These trends are documented in the District Accountability Committee's UIP Recommendations report. The conclusions within the report are driven by the data. Our schools are falling behind under the leadership of the status quo.
Susan Zimet and Johnathan Nickell are committed to addressing the root causes of the issues at Aspen School District. Our kids and our community not only deserve but require their support.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman