Change needed on Aspen school board
October 26, 2017
A strong and effective school district requires the leadership of a strong and effective school board.
Good schools not only benefit families with school age children but the whole community by supporting market demand within the district. School board elections are not narrow interest decisions for parents but powerful and crucial opportunities to influence local self-governance that benefits everybody.
Two candidates for school board are clearly committed to maintaining high quality public education in Aspen; Susan Zimet and Johnathan Nickell.
A lot of work went into building our schools up to earning accreditation with distinction. In recent years we have seen consistent decline in student performance, degradation in the schools culture and high teacher turnover. Aspen schools have lost their high accreditation.
These trends are documented in the District Accountability Committee's UIP Recommendations report. The conclusions within the report are driven by the data. Our schools are falling behind under the leadership of the status quo.
Susan Zimet and Johnathan Nickell are committed to addressing the root causes of the issues at Aspen School District. Our kids and our community not only deserve but require their support.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Pitkin County Democratic Party chair says he was assaulted while canvassing
- Jim Gaffigan: ‘Skiing was obviously a rich person’s idea’
- Issue committee formed to fight redevelopment of base of Aspen Mountain
- Bundy’s escape forever a part of Garfield County history
- Father of snowboarder who died at Snowmass: ‘He was just one of those good guys’