Breaking down the council’s breakdowns
August 1, 2018
The Aug. 1 issue of The Aspen Times reported on City Council's retreat, where council discussed why it's out of touch with the community. For those lacking time to read the full reports, here are the council members' principal observations:
1. Council has had more accomplishments than disappointments (who knew?).
2. Disappointments result from failed communication, not bad ideas.
3. The problem is that Council "doesn't bring the community with us," not that the community just doesn't want to go there.
4. Elected officials are free to do illegal stuff without challenge from citizens because officials were elected.
5. The citizens are mere "teenagers" to the "adult" city council members.
Recommended Stories For You
6. If you won't get out of your cars and onto our bikes, you should leave town.
7. Council members enjoy telling each other how great they are.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division