Be careful on the cycle
August 30, 2018
Dear mid-20s female cyclist at Hooks Spur and the Rio Grande Trail on Thursday about 12:30 with dark shorts, lime green top, white (I think) helmet:
You blasted across the intersection full throttle when I had no stop sign and you had one. Did you hear the brakes on my 5,500-pound Yukon XL squeal even at the 20 mph I was going southbound there?
I guess you and bike together weigh 120 lbs against the 5,500 of my SUV. Picture that rolling over you and next time stop, as legally required.
I am very glad I was able to avoid you. Living here (I am guessing you don't), I get lots of practice avoiding wildlife, which helped.
I cycle plenty, so you know, and always pay attention to that sign and all others.
I had just finished a nice morning hike and you totally blew my endorphin buzz.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire