Aspen’s elected ‘experts’ drive away another lodge developer
January 23, 2018
The feds avoided a faux government shutdown. But Aspen City Council has a real lodging shutdown.
Example: the Boomerang fiasco. It isn't that lodge developers don't have rational plans. The problem is that every member of every City Council anoints him-herself as an expert on lodge design. No developer can present any plan that can't be "improved" by the "lodging experts" on City Council. Those "experts" keep piling on the "improvements" until, as with the Boomerang, the developers decide there are better towns for investing in lodges.
Aspen might be paradise for locals and visiting squillionaires, but it's hell for lodge developers. They'll find their heavens elsewhere.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Historic Redstone Castle comes back to life along the Crystal River
- Final Stranahan donation sterilizes upper Lenado
- Aspen Skiing Co. alters dog hours for uphillers at Buttermilk, Snowmass and Highlands
- Strafe Outerwear and Thai eatery on Snowmass Mall this winter, added employee housing in the works
- Juvenile who shot, killed dog near Carbondale sentenced two years in youth division