Aspen slow to embrace public art
January 12, 2018
In all the places I have lived and visited, I have never heard so much complaining about public art — art buildings, dinosaur eggs and the lightning bolt in Snowmass in particular.
The three main places I have lived in are Aspen, Santa Fe and Lubbock, Texas.
In Santa Fe there is so much public art nobody really complains at all. In Lubbock there was a religious nut who chiseled off "The Windy Man" bas-relief off a bridge. There was also a breast-feeding incident at the Buddy Holly Center about 10 years back, but things are changing there.
Things are not changing in Aspen-Snowmass, though. Which is pretty strange.
Aspen Village and Santa Fe, New Mexico
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Aspen Skiing Co. buying land for more employee housing
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company
- Bankruptcy part of school district’s check into HR director
- Aspen’s housing program holding scofflaws accountable, focusing on compliance cases
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art