Letter: Unnecessary closure on Rio Grande Trail
December 1, 2016
Wednesday was the last day that the Rio Grande Trail between Catherine Store Bridge and Rock Bottom Ranch were open this year. I remain vehemently opposed to the winter closure of that section of the Rio Grande Trail in order to incubate a mountain lion nursery!
This trail closure also precludes the possibility of cross-country skiing from Carbondale to Basalt when snow conditions permit it. This 2-mile long section is both sheltered from the sun and is the most north-facing portion of the trail in the lower valley, thus allowing for optimum snow retention. Winter closure of this trail is a bad idea whose time will never come.
Trending In: Opinion
- Cigarette advertising lights up conversation about Aspen’s ski pass art
- Aspen Mountain opens for the season with 180 acres of skiable terrain
- Former Aspenite Devon Meyers and family lose home in Malibu fire
- The Drop-In: Aspen Mountain Opening Day (video)
- Court allows class-action against Aspen towing company