Letter: Unnecessary closure on Rio Grande Trail
December 1, 2016
Wednesday was the last day that the Rio Grande Trail between Catherine Store Bridge and Rock Bottom Ranch were open this year. I remain vehemently opposed to the winter closure of that section of the Rio Grande Trail in order to incubate a mountain lion nursery!
This trail closure also precludes the possibility of cross-country skiing from Carbondale to Basalt when snow conditions permit it. This 2-mile long section is both sheltered from the sun and is the most north-facing portion of the trail in the lower valley, thus allowing for optimum snow retention. Winter closure of this trail is a bad idea whose time will never come.
Trending In: Opinion
- Service restored after area-wide outage drops Roaring Fork Valley internet, some cell service
- Decades after Aspen-bound plane crash, surviving brothers reckon with trauma in documentary ‘3 Days 2 Nights’
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Business Monday: Clock ticks for Aspen retailers on 420 E. Hyman