Letter: Bring vibrancy to Basalt riverfront
To Basalt riverfront pro-condo and hotel folks to clear up common
misconceptions about those who prefer less riverfront development:
1. Just because many don’t want a four-story hotel and condos doesn’t mean they instead want a 5-acre dog park. But that’s funny.
2. Nor do many just want a huge empty park. Replace “park” with, “Riverfront space developed as a recreation and community-oriented public amenity.” There ya go.
4. What people thought they wanted before they actually saw the property has changed, especially since they saw how much of it floods.
3. If you quantify all the letters to the editor on this subject so far, you’ll find 80 percent prefer less, not more development.
5. We agree growth and density could be good for Basalt. Just not on the river.
6. You know what’s vibrant? A riverfront full of people engaging in recreation activities.
7. The town needs to own the entire parcel so the project can go back to being citizen-driven. Brilliant Basaltines have been proposing wonderful ideas for years — kayak park, a town-square feel to sit and visit with neighbors, paths for strollers, an events center large enough even as Basalt grows, campus of nonprofits, a truly unique destination boutique hotel, a fishing lodge, a restaurant and bar with large outdoor spaces, a skating rink, a flyfishing center, a fountain like Mill street and so many more. Many have even included detailed plans on how to fund their ideas.
8. There is private and public funding available for Basalt to own this property. And think how much more valuable it will be in 10 or 20 years, and how more precious community space will be then. Buying it now would be truly visionary.
9. Basaltines, we know that a gold-medal river deserves a gold-medal riverfront. Join the movement help work to make sure this one-of-a-kind property glorifies our rivers and recreation-driven community.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User