Letter: A dim future for skiing
December 14, 2016
President-elect Donald Trump has declared that climate change is a hoax. I and so many others agree that it is not happening — it's here!
There is no getting around it. The proposed Gorsuch project at the base of Lift 1A is probably going to happen at some level, but by the time it's complete we should really look at the full impact of climate change and build a gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain to replace the old 1A chairlift. Because at the rate we are going, and the lack of snow in five, 10 or 20 years, our snowmaking efforts at the base will not even be considered and the only skiing will be at the top of the mountain.
I hope it's not true, but it should be considered.
Trending In: Opinion
- Parents petition for Aspen School District superintendent’s removal
- Aspen’s $20,000 bike lockers gain no traction with commuters
- SKI Magazine names Aspen-Snowmass inaugural ‘resort of the year’ in west
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Mandatory curtailment of water rights in CO raised as possibility