Letter: A dim future for skiing
December 14, 2016
President-elect Donald Trump has declared that climate change is a hoax. I and so many others agree that it is not happening — it's here!
There is no getting around it. The proposed Gorsuch project at the base of Lift 1A is probably going to happen at some level, but by the time it's complete we should really look at the full impact of climate change and build a gondola to the top of Aspen Mountain to replace the old 1A chairlift. Because at the rate we are going, and the lack of snow in five, 10 or 20 years, our snowmaking efforts at the base will not even be considered and the only skiing will be at the top of the mountain.
I hope it's not true, but it should be considered.
Trending In: Opinion
- Paul Andersen: Haunting memory of probing for a body after an avalanche
- Mike Littwin: How hot does a smoking gun need to be before Trump is truly burned?
- Tony Vagneur: Reminiscing for moment for a bit of perspective, posterity
- Roger Marolt: A slower shutter speed to capture a picture-perfect powder day
- Aspen Princess: Taking baby steps to navigate this back-breaking labor of love
- Roaring Fork Valley man killed in Express Creek avalanche near Aspen
- Video: Moose chases skiers at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Business Monday: Wrecking ball coming to Boogie’s Building in downtown Aspen
- Vail resident ID’d as second skier killed in Taos inbounds avalanche
- Local arrested on FBI warrant over emails