Put ‘get milk’ on the list
Aspen, CO Colorado
I quit making New Year’s resolutions after the year I vowed to fit into size 8 jeans by the following Christmas. I still have the jeans, in a box in the closet.
Some people make the same resolution every year and never fulfill the promise. I should resolve to quit procrastinating and everything else would fall into place. Unless I put off making good on the resolution.
Years of a blissful, resolution-free lifestyle have left me with a mounting list of overlooked responsibilities, unmet goals and jeans that are too small. So this year, I made a list of things I’d like to do before 2008 is over. I’m not calling them resolutions, though. They’re good intentions, and I’m full of them, but I’ve paired them down to a worthy and, potentially, doable list:
1. Drive to work more often. I took the bus every day I came up to Aspen to work last year, but for one exception. Just in case the planet winds up hurling toward the next ice age thanks to all the efforts to fight global warming, I want to provide a little balance.
2. Remember how much more I enjoy cross-country skiing and ski touring in the backcountry before I buy next winter’s ski pass and watch it collect lint in my pocket.
3. Get life insurance.
4. Go bowling.
5. Catch a trout with a fly I’ve tied myself, or spend at least 5 minutes trying.
6. Learn to tie flies, or spend at least 5 minutes trying.
7. Read a Jane Austen novel, or spend at least 5 minutes trying. This one is inspired by that chick flick, “The Jane Austen Book Club,” at which I faked nodding knowingly at all the movie’s literary references.
8. Be more patient.
9. Slip the word “hemidemisemiquaver” into print. Sweet. Cross that one off.
10. Drink more milkshakes. According to some new Swedish study published by some authoritative-sounding journal, women who have at least one full serving of full-fat dairy products a day gain less weight than women who don’t. Sounds perfectly plausible to me.
11. Actively seek out a similar conclusion regarding margaritas.
12. Skin up something out of bounds and ski down. Note to self: Make sure No. 3 has been accomplished first.
13. Either play that guitar or sell it.
14. Either wear those jeans or give them away.
15. Redouble my efforts to avoid knowing anything about the lives of Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears and anyone who’s last name is Simpson (except Homer).
16. Stay up past 10 p.m. at least a dozen times.
17. Spend time in the moonlight, possibly in conjunction with No. 16.
18. Send a mushy text message once in a while.
19) Climb a fourteener.
20. Quit writing a column.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.