Colorado Animal Rescue, Inc. (CARE) hosted its annual fund-raiser, the Puttn on the Dog (& Kitty Cat) Ball, on Saturday, Sept. 29, at Aspen Glen.The festive fall benefit raises funds and community awareness for the shelter and the many programs CARE supports, spanning from spay/neuter programs to foster programs to training seminars and more. The CARE shelter is located in Glenwood Springs, approximately 3 miles north of Highway 82, on County Road 114. Since opening in 2000, CARE has taken in and placed (through adoptions) more than 4,200 dogs and cats. As the acting shelter for Garfield County, it receives 40 percent of its operating budget from the county with the remaining 60 percent of funds raised through grants, adoptions, donations and various fund-raising events, such as the annual ball.CARE Board President Connie Baker and fellow Board Member Michelle Marlow served as co-chairs of the event. Sandy Teich and Leann Katchuk were also instrumental in its planning.The theme for the night was white, honoring the Angels, who are the major patrons of CARE. Donors who contribute $1,000 or more annually are recognized as Angels of the organization and are largely responsible for the continued success of the shelter. Guests wore white attire, which complemented the bright white dining tent adorned with white linens and twinkle lights throughout.The evening began with a silent auction and social hour, followed by dinner in the tent. Longtime CARE Shelter supporter Jim Calaway served as emcee at the dinner and spoke of his devotion to the facility and its inhabitants, noting he is an uncle and a grandfather to quite a few animals in this valley. Calaway encouraged all to plan a visit to the new park at the shelter where one can come by, enjoy the views of Sopris and think about how important animals are to us in our lives.The CARE annual benefit raises nearly 20 percent of the annual operating income. We are very close to our goal this year, but still need a few more donations to meet our target, said Marlow. If you are considering 2007 charitable contributions, please consider Colorado Animal Rescue. All donations are fully tax-deductible. For more information on CARE or to donate, call 947-9173 or visit http://www.coloradoanimalrescue.org.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around Aspen and Snowmass Village make the Aspen Times’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Whether it be in Aspen or frankly anywhere else in our land of the free, elected officials and those in power find themselves on a fierce “fairness” rampage. By fairness, I mean equality of outcome;…