‘Yes’ on library is the smart choice
Imagine yourself at the Pitkin County Library:
• Enjoying spectacular Aspen views while catching up on the latest fiction and periodicals in the quiet-reading room.
• Basking in the sun on the outdoor reading deck.
• Having the option of a little shade* while watching a performance on plaza or accessing wireless Internet.
• Attending concerts, theater and otherwise connecting with your Aspen community beyond library hours in the community meeting room. And a kitchen means great refreshments!
• Having a venue for your community event (the beautiful community meeting room, again), which opens onto the plaza.
• Knowing your children are happy, safe and secure in the large, sunlit children’s room**.
• Using your own private office or study by appointment.
• Not losing one-third of all fiction titles for more space in order to become Americans With Disabilities Act-compliant.
• Paying very little for all this and more (taxed only $1.70 year per $100,000 property value).
• Opponents of library improvement refuse to correct numerous inaccuracies***.
• The expansion area belongs to the library. The city asked it to hold up on expansion for more than a decade in order to coincide with extensive city parking garage repairs now set to begin.
• In the meantime, permitted private development has blocked beautiful Aspen views from the library.
• Library expansion at same time as parking-garage repairs equals significant savings and better construction
• 97 percent of plaza green untouched.
* Small canopy area equal to one parking space. Canopy much lower than surrounding buildings and integrates with plaza.
** Current children’s room used by many adults for entry to library and small children have gotten out onto Mill Street.
*** See Aspen Times editorial from Oct. 25.
Is our library “adequate”? Sure, but voting “yes” would bring tremendous value to our Aspen community at a very small cost.
Please vote “yes” for our wonderful library!
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.