Krug Encounter Aspen
July 20, 2018
On Thursday, July 12, Krug Champagne hosted a private reception at the home of John and Amy Phelan for 40 guests to celebrate the connection between food, music and Champagne.
Among those in attendance were Richard and Kitz Goodman, Domenico and Eleanore DeSole, Jeff and Nicola Marcus, Susan Crown Kunckler, Chandra Johnson, Lance Armstrong and Anna Hansen.
After receiving an Emmy nomination earlier that day for "The Assassination of Gianni Versace," the multi-faceted Darren Criss (an actor, singer, guitarist and pianist among his talents) paired three musical compilations with Krug Clos du Mesnil, Krug 2003, and Krug Grande Cuvée, each growing in energy throughout the night. With a perfectly paired menu by Matsuhisa Aspen, it was a one-of-a-kind food, music, and Champagne trifecta.
Upon arrival at the Phelans' home, guests were led up the outdoor staircase to the elevated patio, where they were greeted with glasses of Krug Grande Cuvée 160th Edition en jeroboam. Passed canapés included toro caviar, crispy rice with spicy tuna, miniature nobu tacos, and spicy king crab gunkan nigiri. After a few words of welcome by Richard Beaumont, brand director for Krug Champagne, Criss kicked off the evening with a solo performance, a nod to Clos du Mesnil. Following the performance, guests were led to dinner in the bright and spacious interior, appointed with contemporary works of art.
At the table, servers poured Krug Clos du Mesnil 2003, followed by a sashimi trio of Nova Scotia salmon, scallop tiradito, and tai dry miso. Guests then received glasses of Krug 2003 as they listened to Darren's second performance alongside a cellist. For the main courses, Matsuhisa prepared Chilean sea bass with pumpkin purée, black truffle and Brussels sprouts, followed by wagyu beef with mung bean risotto, maitake, balsamic teriyaki, and crispy leeks to pair with Krug Rosé 18th Edition en magnum.
As the denouement to a lovely evening, Criss performed with a string quartet (including an encore requested by the Phelans' daughter, Makenzie Phelan Moon), as guests enjoyed passed desserts and Krug Grande Cuvée 159th Edition.
Recommended Stories For You
To reach May with invites and insights, email allthewaymaymay.com
Trending In: Weekly
- From horses to hemp: ‘America’s Most Trusted Horseman’ John Lyons eyes his second calling
- Mountain Mayhem: Flamingo Gala for AEF
- Food Matters: A mocktail pairing dinner serves a sober message
- Through thick and thin, Aspen Mountain snowmaking crew plays key role getting ski area open
- Wine Ink: The Twelve Days of Christmas at Meadowood
- Shake-up at Aspen Skiing Co. over alleged retail racket
- No damage after small quakes north of Glenwood
- City of Aspen slams on brakes with Lyft contract
- Aspen School District taking measures to remove human resources director
- Developer to city of Aspen: $150M in tax revenue to come in if base of mountain is redeveloped