From the Vault: In the swim of things
June 21, 2018
"Aspen visitors will find 10 swim pools at start of season," announced The Aspen Times on June 3, 1960. "This summer when the tourist season reaches its peak, Aspen visitors will have 10 heated swimming pools at their disposal. One of the pools, the Aspen Pool, is public, the others are private installations belonging to individual lodges. Located at the corner of Galena and Durant, the public pool is slated to open for the season this weekend. Newest of the private pools is one nearing completion at the Highlander Lodge east of the city. Other lodges having pools are The Aspen Meadows, Villa Lamarr, The Smuggler, The Nugget, The Prospector, Ski Vu, The Blue Spruce and the Hotel Jerome. In addition to serving hotel guests, the Jerome pool is used as a swimming membership club for Aspen residents." The photograph above shows the pool at the Hotel Jerome in the early 1950s.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Writing Switch: Just the tips for dating in Aspen
- High Country: CBD Cult Favorite Lord Jones Lands At Cos Bar
- ‘How will this look on my wall?’ There’s an app for that
- John McEuen and former Nitty Gritty Dirt Band members to revisit ‘Will the Circle Be Unbroken’ in Aspen
- Hollywood in Aspen: Why a small Colorado mountain town plays host to the silver screen’s elite
- Aspen-area men die in backcountry avalanche near Crested Butte
- Aspen-area has suffered the brunt of Colorado’s fatal avalanches this year
- What’s the Big Deal: $6.8 million for luxury cabin outside of Aspen
- Aspen man charged in political official assault
- Monday Business Briefs: Little Nell and Steakhouse No. 316 get props; Aspen estate bound for auction