From the Vault: Honoring Paepcke
August 23, 2018
"Walter Paepcke park dedication is Sunday," announced The Aspen Times on Aug. 19, 1960. "The memory of Walter P. Paepcke, father of modern Aspen, will be honored Sunday, Aug. 21 when what is now known as City Park is dedicated to him. Ceremonies consisting of short talks and a musical program will begin at 12:30 PM. Aspen Mayor Mike Garrish will give the dedication address. Musical arrangements are under the direction of Forrestt Miller, coordinator of the Young Artists of Aspen. Miller said a short concert by a student orchestra is planned. Proposed last fall, the dedication of the Main St. Park to Aspen's most eminent former citizen was postponed to this summer so that a more representative section of the town's populace could be in attendance. After the dedication, the park will be known as the Walter P. Paepcke Park. Both county commissioners and the city council unanimously approved the plan. Chairman of the arrangements committee is Robert Marsh." The image above shows City Park in 1959, the summer before it was dedicated as Paepcke Park.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Denver woman tied to escort service sought in Aspen fraud case
- Glenn K. Beaton: The 2020 Dem spectacle: Spartacus and the Native American
- Man pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman
- Marijuana venture goes up in smoke, $5 million dispute lands in Aspen court
- Aspen’s affordable housing program faces budget shortfall