From the Vault: Summertime Splash
June 22, 2017
"Aspen visitors will find 10 swim pools at start of season," announced the Aspen Times on June 3, 1960. "This summer when the tourist season reaches its peak, Aspen visitors will have 10 heated swimming pools at their disposal. One of the pools, the Aspen Pool, is public, the others are private installations belonging to individual lodges. Located at the corner of Galena and Durant, the public pool is slated to open for the season this weekend. Newest of the private pools is one nearing completion at the Highlander Lodge east of the city. Other lodges having pools are The Aspen Meadows, Villa Lamarr, The Smuggler, The Nugget, The Prospector, Ski Vu, The Blue Spruce and the Hotel Jerome. In addition to serving hotel guests, the Jerome pool is used as a swimming membership club for Aspen residents." The photograph above shows the pool at the Hotel Jerome in the early 1950s.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Downstream Flow: Main Street Carbondale welcomes 3 new restaurants
- Value exists at restaurants in Aspen hotels, so why don’t locals go?
- Solving Conundrum: U.S. Forest Service efforts to wipe up after party poopers seem to be working
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats to play another sold-out show at Belly Up Aspen
- Millennials in the gig economy
- Aspen Councilman asked to stop but continues to email plaintiffs suing city over office building
- Business Monday: Not quite a free fall, but United fares between Aspen and Denver dropping
- Aspen man’s mental health again a concern for Pitkin County judge
- Hiker airlifted off Maroon Peak after falling 100 feet into gully
- U.S. Forest Service opposing Fryingpan, Arkansas rivers conditional rights in wilderness area