From the Vault: Summertime Splash
June 22, 2017
"Aspen visitors will find 10 swim pools at start of season," announced the Aspen Times on June 3, 1960. "This summer when the tourist season reaches its peak, Aspen visitors will have 10 heated swimming pools at their disposal. One of the pools, the Aspen Pool, is public, the others are private installations belonging to individual lodges. Located at the corner of Galena and Durant, the public pool is slated to open for the season this weekend. Newest of the private pools is one nearing completion at the Highlander Lodge east of the city. Other lodges having pools are The Aspen Meadows, Villa Lamarr, The Smuggler, The Nugget, The Prospector, Ski Vu, The Blue Spruce and the Hotel Jerome. In addition to serving hotel guests, the Jerome pool is used as a swimming membership club for Aspen residents." The photograph above shows the pool at the Hotel Jerome in the early 1950s.
This photo and more can be found in the Aspen Historical Society archives at aspenhistory.org.
Trending In: Weekly
- Jazz Aspen June Experience: Lizz Wright; Leslie Odom Jr.; Lyle Lovett & the return of the gospel brunch
- Mountain Mayhem: Food & Wine Classic weekend
- Aspen Times Weekly: Anthony Bourdain 2.0
- Aspen Ideas Festival: What you really need to know this week
- High Country: The must-attend Aspen Ideas seminar for the marijuana-minded
- ‘Massive’ theft from Aspen doctor/sister leads to jail, probation
- Aspen housing authority forcing former board member to sell her home after renting it out
- Aspen’s controversial, historic Boomerang Lodge sells for $10 million
- Naked gospel singer in middle of Aspen road arrested
- City of Aspen under contract to buy downtown building for $23 million